Nominations are now open to launch the first-ever Amador Poet Laureate Program!
The selection and announcement of the Amador County Poet Laureate is a process administered by the non-profit Amador County Arts Council, aka AmadorArts.
The title of Poet Laureate is a time-honored tradition. In 1668, England officially established the post as a royal office. In the 19th century some local Poet Laureates were recognized in their communities. In 1937 the U.S. created the position of National Poet Laureate.The position of California Poet Laureate was established as a part of the California Government Code in 2001 through AB 113.
The position of Amador County Poet Laureate, as established by AmadorArts, will honor local outstanding poets, integrate poetry into the community, enrich the education of our young people, and enhance the County’s position as a cultural center.
Appointments will be for two-year terms. The honorary position is without salary. Nominations will be accepted now through June 30 and may come from individuals or organizations within or outside the county; the poet must reside in Amador County, and poets may self-nominate.
Each nomination must contain:
- Cover letter from the nominator identifying the nominator and/or the nominating organization with the recommendations for the nominee.
- Name and short biography of the poet nominated (or resume) with contact information, a website address (if applicable) and a statement of interest by the poet (if not self-nominating).
- Three to six poems by the poet.
The Poet Laureate’s named duties over the period of his/her appointment include:
- Presentations of his/her poetry at a Amador County Board of Supervisors meeting.
- Presentations at other appropriate public events, at least once each quarter for his/her term.
- Advocacy of poetry in the community, including, but not limited to, bringing poetry to school children, projects or programs that promote the appreciation of poetry, or poetry workshops with underserved populations in the community.
A qualified selection committee will convene from July 1 through September 1st followed by the Amador Poet Laureate announcement.
To make a nomination follow the above directions and submit to AmadorArts at firstname.lastname@example.org or PO Box 206 Sutter Creek, Ca 95685. Follow AmadorArts on Facebook or call 209-267-9038.