A “Creative California Communities” Project funded by the California Arts Council, implemented by AmadorArts, in partnership with Calaveras County Arts Council, the Foothill Conservancy, and East Bay Municipal Utility District.
Artists of all disciplines living in Amador and Calaveras Counties or in the water service area of the East Bay Municipal Utility District are requested to submit qualifications and samples of work. Artists selected to participate in the project will be invited to create work inspired by the Upper Mokelumne River.
The Mokelumne River provides water for drinking, irrigation, and power generation to 1.4 million people. In an effort to increase awareness of the river, appreciation of its beauty and recreational opportunities, as well as the need for conservation, the project will produce inspired art, music, dance, and stories to be showcased at events scheduled in the first five months of 2015.
Artists will be selected to participate in the project by a panel of qualified judges who represent a cross-section of disciplines.
Artists must be residents of Amador County, Calaveras County, or customers of East Bay Municipal Utility District.
- Two-Dimensional Visual Art (paintings, photography, etchings, 2-D mixed media, etc)
- Three-Dimensional Visual Art (ceramics, wood, sculpture, textile, jewelry, etc)
- Literary Arts (poems, short stories, snippets of novels, essays)
- Music (original composition) performed by any number
- Dance (original choreography) performed by any number
- Other Performance Arts (storytelling, one-act plays, short video loops, any other)
Artists must complete an application online that will include the following information:
- A brief artist bio - no more than 300 words
- A description of your interest in the project and a general idea of the artwork you intend to create.
- Up to three samples of your existing pieces that are representative of the work you intend to create.
- An entry fee of $20 per artist
- RFQ Application Deadline – Friday, September 5th, 2014
- Notification of Artist Finalists –Monday September 15th, 2014
- Inspirational events held for artist finalists - September and October 2014
- Deadline to complete work – December 1, 2014; stipends awarded
- Work Drop Off – in Amador, Calaveras Counties and at a TBD East Bay location – December 1-7, 2014
- Announcements of Jurors Cash Awards – December 19, 2014
- Exhibition Dates – January 2015 in Amador County; February 2015, in East Bay; March 2015 in Calaveras County.
- Announcement of Popular Choice Awards – April 6, 2015
- Grand Finale – May 9 (tentative) 2015, in Amador County
Stipends and Awards:
- Stipends of $200 will be awarded to each of the Selected Artists
- In September and October 2014, three complimentary, guided educational and inspirational experiences will be provided to artists.
- $200 cash awards for First Prize in each of six disciplines
- Four $200 cash awards for Popular Choice Vote
A panel of qualified arts professionals representing a wide range of perspectives.
Popular Choice Vote: At the three exhibitions, the public will be asked to cast votes for their favorite, based on these four themes: Recreation, Beauty, Resource, and Conservation.
Exhibition and Sales
Month-long rotating shows in three locations in the winter of 2015 with receptions featuring literary and performing arts submissions. Visual Artists will receive 70% of sales.
In May 2015, at a venue near the Mokelumne River, a showcase event, featuring locally sourced food & beverages and an art auction, will highlight participating artists and all of the art created through the River Reflections project.
All applications must be submitted online. Submit your application using the options at the bottom of this page. Please be prepared to include the following information:
- A brief artist bio - no more than 300 words
- A description of your interest in the project and proposal of artwork you intend to create
- A separate application and fee are required for each Discipline
- Email samples of work to
. We recommend three samples for visual arts applicants, and two brief samples from literary or performing arts applicants, totaling no more than 6 minutes. Acceptable files types are:
- Text: doc, docx, pdf
- Images: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
- Audio: mp3, avi, mov, wav
- Video: mp4, mov, 3gp
- Be sure to send images from the same email address as noted in your application and include your full name in the body of the message.
- If you intend to exhibit / present a piece already created, please include the name of the piece, when it was created, and note that you would like to submit it for consideration.
Deadlines and Fees
- An application fee of $20 per artist must be received no later than Friday, September 5th, 2014 via PayPal atwww.amadorarts.org or by check to AmadorArts: PO Box 206 Sutter Creek, Ca 95685.
- All completed applications and fees must be received no later than Friday September 5th, 2014.
- Notifications to Finalist Artists will be sent via email no later than Monday September 15th, 2014. Stipends will be awarded to Finalist Artists upon completion and delivery of work by December 7, 2014.
Please pay for your fee first and then you will be taken to the application form upon completion of payment.
***** If you are mailing in a check, Complete the Artist Application Here ******